Parked out front.

Parked out front.

Monday, February 23, 2004

Another Rain Observation
So I went out for another run in the rain tonight and it was interesting. Armed with my one windshield wiper, I turned on the defroster and headed out of the garage. Las Vegas drainage isn't the best so there was a huge puddle at the end of my street. I drove through it not thinking about it too much, but then my windshield instantly fogged up. It was amazing. I had to pull over for a moment and clean off my windshield. It turns out that because the defroster gets it air directly from the engine compartment, any water that gets up there is turned to steam and blown on my windshield. I drove over the puddle a few more times for testing and every time the windshield would fog up for a moment and then clear up.

I'm not sure if this is because my engine compartment is not sealed completely or even if it should be, but it doesn't seem like the best design. Luckily for me there is very little rain in Las Vegas and I wouldn't normally go driving in the rain with the Corvair.

That Sizzling sound!
One very cool observation I had is that once I parked the car back in the garage, I could hear sizzling from the engine compartment. This came from any water that fell on the engine. Since the engine runs at a much higher temperature than water cooled cars, the water was instantly boiling off the block making a great sizzling noise as the car sat in the garage.

No comments:

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.