Parked out front.

Parked out front.

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Time for preventative Maintenance

Well, now that the car is running well, I think its time to think about a few pending repairs that were put on the back burner while the car had a hard time running. First thing is the rear motor mount. It is definitely in need of replacement. The process looks pretty easy. I need to jack up the engine so that the pressure is off the rubber part of the mount. Undue the bolts and replace. Its definitely something that should be done soon. Time to order the part.

Most oil leaks gone

When I replaced the oil line to the turbo, I sealed the oil return line and added a gasket to the oil filler cap. Since then, oil leakage has seemed to come to a minimum. I will continue to monitor the oil. I do need to change the oil. I have the oil filter, I just need to do it.

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

New Wires are in!

I got the new wires today and installed them. The car is running GREAT! I took it to work today and it didn't have a single misfire. It also boosted like it used to before I got the mag wires that turned out to be bad! The new oil line is looking good, no leaks. I also fixed a leak by the turbo, so there should be less oil loss from now on. We shall see!

I think I'll drive it around for the next few days to see how it does and then consider putting the speedometer in.

Monday, May 17, 2004

New Oil Line in

While I'm waiting for new plug wires to come in I thought I'd put the correct oil line to the turbo in. The job turned out harder than it looked since the old line was wrong, I had difficulty pulling it out. I had to remove the fuel lines from the pump and the oil sensor before I could get the old line out. It turned out looking good though. You can see the new line in the picture. I also replace the pressure retard line with the yellow hose. It will match the new yellow wires that should be here in a day or so. Hopefully we'll be up and running again by the end of the week.

Sunday, May 16, 2004

Not a good day for wires

I went to swap the boots on the cables today and had gotten through most of them when I managed to pull off the crimped connector that's inside the boot from 2 of them. Looking at the wire, its not hard to see why. I'm sure pulling on all of the boots stressed all the wires and the jacketing of the wire is very soft. The crimp pulled right off. Needless to say, I have a new set of wires on the way along with a note to the vender complaining about the quality of these Mag Wires. It totally ruined my day. It will be interesting to see if the new wires make a difference to the misfiring problem. I sure hope so. I'm running out of ideas.

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Another possibility arrives in the mail

So Check this out. I get a package from Clark's Corvair that was unexpected. All my orders were already delivered. Inside the package are 6 spark plug wire boots. Apparently the boots that came with my newly purchased mag wires were faulty. They were made with the wrong rubber. These faulty boots could cause "Skipping and Arcing". So now I have something new to try and see if the problem was the new wires I just installed into the car. The change will probably happen this weekend.

Monday, May 10, 2004

Still no luck

I've replaced the diaphram on the carb yesterday, but I still seem to have misfiring problems. I'm back to thinking the problem is electrical. My next step is to jump to the coil so I know the wires are okay. There is a resister that drops the voltage down to 6volts. Many people bypass that resister to get extra power to spark. I may end up doing that as well.

Sunday, May 02, 2004

Misfiring still a problem

I've replaced the coil, the points with an electronic ignition, the plugs. No true success with the misfiring problem. I thought I had it once or twice, but after some initial success, the car started to misfire again. After some discussion on the Virtual Vairs discussion list, It looks like I'll be pulling the carb apart again to check the pump diaphram. It seem that this rubber part dries up and malfunctions causing an overly rich mix in the engine. That rich mix causes misfiring. I've ordered another diaphram before I take the carb apart because I don't want it sitting in pieces while I get the part. This way, I'll have it apart and together in the same day. On the included picture (courtesy Clark's Corvair - the part is labeled #9. Hopefully, this will be my solution.

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.