Parked out front.

Parked out front.

Thursday, March 25, 2004

New Problems
On the way home from Mesquite, the car had some mis-firing problems. I'm thinking that the coil has gone bad. The wires and distributor were already replaced. I can also change the points although I'm thinking about going to electronic ignition. I'll Order the parts in the next day or so and see how it goes.

One Hot Car
On the drive home, the car was pushing 500 degrees and would knock when the turbo started to boost. I took it easy not boosting the car at all to prevent knocking, but I need to do something about it. There are several engine cooling strategies available to me. Also, I'm wondering if the pressure retard system in the ignition is actually working. Its possible that if its not, then the timing is too advanced for the boost and causing the knocking. We shall see. I'm also looking into a water injection system that will inject water into the heads when I boost.

Fuel Pump Anyone?
An interesting observation I made in Mesquite was that the majority of cars have had their mechanical fuel pump removed and replaced with an electric pump at the gas tank. I found out later that when the old pumps fail, they can be very dangerous, very destructive or both. In one scenario, when the pump dies, gas is pumped into the crank case, not a good thing. Another scenario is that a stream of gas could be shot at the very hot engine starting a fire! So now on to my list of upgrades for the car is an electric fuel pump.

No comments:

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.